Sunday, January 28, 2007

Snow and Ice





When we lived in Africa, I often dreamed of the cold winds of winter with the tingling ears, numb fingers and frozen face. In the subsaharan heat and humidity it was sometimes hard to remember that our lips would get so cold that we couldn't pronounce words like "probably" or "bulb". P's and B's became F's and V's.

Last week we had three blissful days of below freezing temperatures. It was magnificent! Here are a few pictures of what I saw.

"Like the cold of snow in the time of harvest is a faithful messenger to those who send him. For he refreshes the soul of his masters. Proverbs 25:13

"'Come now, and let us reason together', says the Lord, 'Though your sins are as scarlet, they will be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool.'" Isaiah 1:18

5 comments:

Paul said...

nice pictures. I guess you figured out how to load them. I've never had any trouble with it, but I'll give my mac the credit...

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Yay Dad! Hurrah for the cold weather in Maryland! I really like those verses and I always think about how good God is to give us a great object lesson with one of His most beautiful creations.

Jan Robert (Robby) Heiberg said...

Great! I wonder how it would be to live without snow... The place we lived before we moved to the Heartgood Foundation, we usually had snow between September and May. Up to 5 feet of snow. It was GREAT! Now living more south of that, I get a little snow-deprived. Thankfully we have finally gotten some snow now though!
No weather can match a good amount of "below-centigrades" and a bunch of snow! Congratulations with the cold weather! Let's hope it lasts!

Petraglyph said...

Gorgeous photos, Dad. I remember the Africa days when you used to tell us stories about school being cancelled from snow, and sledding down old Glenside court, and making snow forts with the Berghmans. :-) Tee and I always thought it sounded like so much fun. Praise the Lord for snow! I can well agree with the author of the Proverb you quoted. Snow IS a refreshing thing to the soul!

Lisa said...

Beautiful pictures Uncle Per. Good old Maryland! I too sometimes long for snow in tropical Florida. I have to content myself with pictures and my occasional trips where there is snow. Last March, I was excited to see a tiny patch of snow at Great Falls. I made a 3 inch high snow man and threw a puny snowball at Katie! I hope that there's a planet out there that's all snow so I can visit when I'm in heaven.